Friday, June 3, 2011

Two Years Ago...



Being raised in a family that takes deep pride in it's Irish roots, my mother passed down the traditional sayings, "Praise youth and it will prosper." The older I have gotten, the more I can appreciate this Irish Proverb, thus forcing myself to question: "What is youth? When do we know we are no longer young?"

Today I attended the Providence Day School Graduation Ceremony. Whitney Fogle was the speaker and did an impeccable job. I remember when she was part of the Providence Day community as well among my brother, sister, and me. I looked out into the crowd and I saw old familiar faces of those who were part of my class. I wondered if the same thoughts were rushing through their head as well: "Where does time go?" I continued asking myself this question as the class of 2011 walked down the aisle in their cap and gown reminiscing the day, two years ago exactly, when I was doing the same thing with my best friends. Even today I remember how the day went, all the students entered their designated locker rooms and shared their excitement with each other.

We were done. Finally.

We were ready to make new friends, but never forget the old ones. We were ready to continue to the next phase of our lives, but never forget the phase that we all had shared with each other. Of course the girls took way too many pictures together, and the guys acted like they could have cared less (nice try, you never had us fooled).

Although high school left a sour taste in my mouth, I honored the lessons I learned through my social interactions.
1. NEVER will I let someone walk over me again. I don't care how mean, cold, or hateful my bluntness may come off. Today I can hold my head up high, and be confident in who I am. Take it or leave it.
2. Forgiveness is the first step towards peace and serenity within oneself. If we can't forgive ourselves for the mistakes we have made, then how can we forgive others?
3. Sadness is one of the most beautiful aspects of life. Without it, we would not appreciate the simplistic things that bring us joy.
4. Love yourself. Simple as that.

As I wrap up my first official post, I would like to end it with this:

"Turn your scars into stars! Turn your problems into possibilities!"

Keep Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment